10 Vegan Snacks In Under 10 Minutes
Good snacks are sometimes necessary to survive – they help you get through a stressful working week, make your evening at the movies and the netflix session more enjoyable.
But finding healthy vegan snacks can sometimes be quite difficult. Fruits are great – but having them constantly as a snack,you’ll soon be fed up with that too.
Many conventional snacks contain unnecessary amounts of sugar and fat or animal products. Fortunately, you can easily create something healthy and tasty to nibble on at home. Without many ingredients and without standing in the kitchen for a long time.
- Use ingredients you already have at home
Oatmeal, raisins, a tin of chickpeas, peanut butter… Most of the time, you probably have some or all of this at home. But if you’re like me, you often lack inspiration for what you can make from the ingredients.
- Buy healthy vegan snacks at the supermarket, organic food store or online
Sometimes you just don’t have time or access to a kitchen. Therefore I always have some snacks at home for emergencies. I also encourage you to stock up on snacks to be prepared for emergencies 😉
You have some stuff in your pantry but don’t know what to do with it? Here are my top 10 healthy, vegan snacks to prepare yourself:
1. Dates with Nut Butter
Simply pour a spoonful of almond paste or peanut paste into a date. Medjool dates are best, because they are especially big and delicious!
2. Stir-fried Banana with Cinnamon
Bananas always give a super energy boost, but are also a bit boring.
Why don’t you try this recipe, which only takes 5 minutes longer, but makes an ingenious sweet snack.
Cut the banana into pieces, bread it with cinnamon and sugar and fry it on both sides with a little oil in the pan until it is golden brown. A dream!
3. No-Bake Energy Balls
These delicious energy balls can be conjured up from so much that is still lying around in the kitchen. All you need are dried fruits and nuts. It’s quick and easy (and they don’t cost $2,99 each)
Just throw everything into the mixer and mix until a sticky mass is formed. Shape it into small balls (it is best to moisten hands) and then put it in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
4. Toast with Nut Butter
Simple, but super tasty. My favorites for this are peanut and almond paste. Just spread it thickly and top it with bananas, maple syrup or jam.
5. Cookie dough made from Chickpeas
You can do a lot with the chickpeas in the pantry – even cookie dough for spooning!
2 cans (400g) of cooked chick peas, drained
60ml maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons of flour
1/2 cup (75g) chocolate chips
- Mix the chickpeas in a food processor to a dough.
- Add oil, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Stir again for about one minute until creamy.
- Add the flour, stir, scrape the sides and stir again.
- Fold in the mini chocolate pieces and mix well with a small rubber spatula.
- Put the dough into a large serving bowl and refrigerate in the fridge.
6. Crunchy Granola
Granola not only goes for breakfast but is also a delicious snack to nibble on.
Homemade simply tastes best!
1/4 cup of oil
2/3 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups of oatmeal
3 cups of puffed amaranth, rice or quinoa (or just more oatmeal)
1 cup of nuts
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
In a large bowl mix oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
2. Add oat flakes, puffed rice and pecans. Stir with a spoon to coat them evenly.
3. Put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until they are golden brown and toasted.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely: The muesli will become crispy as it cools down.
7. Vegan Nacho Cheese
Even with simple ingredients, you can conjure up a great cheese sauce! Honestly, who always has yeast flakes at home?
1/4 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of unsweetened vegan yoghurt
3 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of Cayenne powder (optional)
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a small pot.
- Mix yoghurt and flour in a small bowl. Stir well until they are well mixed.
- Reduce the heat of the vegetable stock and add the yoghurt and spices to the pot.
- Boil and stir until they are thick and frothy.
8. Hummus with Veggies
The classic always works! For example, you can use carrots, cucumbers or celery for dipping. Boring, do you think? Try it with dried tomatoes. So yummy!
Bored by hummus? Try it with the vegan nacho cheese instead.
9. Mediterranean Rolls
Photo by Contentedness Cooking
This recipe is also an ideal appetizer for birthday celebrations and parties. Quickly prepared and they look great.
FOR THE TAHINI SAUCE:
3 tablespoons tahini paste
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup (120 ml) of water
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE ROLLS:
Artichokes in a jar
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until the sauce is creamy.
- Cut tomatoes, artichokes and olives into slices.
- Spread a tablespoon of the tahini sauce on a tortilla. Add the vegetables and cover with a handful of lettuce.
- Roll the tortillas tightly together and cut into rolls.
Avocado bread – only better! With the chopped tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar, you’ll feel just like in Italy.
6 chopped cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 slices of bread
1/2 avocado sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped
Finely chopped fresh basil
- Mix the cherry tomatoes with the vinegar in a bowl.
- Place the avocado on the bread and then add the tomatoes and garlic.
- Finally, season to taste with a little basil, salt and pepper.
What are your favourite plant-based snacks? 🙂