The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – Soft & Fudgy
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
These cookies are just THE best to satisfy your sweet tooth. They are crunchy from the outside and soft on the inside. Just like delicious chocolate cookies have to be! Some say the resemble the famous Subway cookies 😉
I love that this recipe uses simple ingredients and the cooking time is so short! It literally takes 20 minutes altogether.
They honestly turn out so well! The cooking time is pretty short because it keeps the cookies from getting too dry and hard. Try not to overcook them and check them regularly. If they are turning brown, they might be done already!
Chia Seeds Instead of Eggs
I really love chia seeds for this recipe, as it works as an egg substitute and gives it some extra crunch. But you can leave it out if you don’t have it, or substitute it with ground flax seeds instead.
I highly recommend you try chia seeds for other recipes as well! It’s perfect for binding your baked goods. Plus they give you some healthy omega-3-fatty-acids on top 🙂
If you’d like your chocolate chip cookies to be on the healthier side, you can make them with whole wheat flour and a calorie-free sweetener.
If you do use Xylit or Erythrite, make sure to adjust the liquids accordingly, otherwise, your dough might end up being too dry!
I like to use sugar beet syrup, as it gives the cookies a caramelly flavour. But it’s also delicious with regular maple syrup, so don’t stress yourself with fancy ingredients.
I hope you like this recipe! Let me know if you try them 🙂
Finally stick to a healthy diet while saving 5+ hours per week? Try this 4-week plant-based meal prep plan (beginner-friendly)
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 20 g chia seeds you can substitute flax seeds
- 50 ml water
- 190 g vegan butter or margarine
- 200 g sugar, brown you can substitute white or use calorie-free sweetener
- 2 tsp sugar beet syrup or maple syrup
- 2 packets vanilla sugar
- 300 g wheat or spelt flour use whole-wheat if you like
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g dark chocolate drops or chop a block
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 °C. Mix the chia seeds and water in a small bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Linea baking tray with baking paper. Mix the vegan butter or margarine and sugar with the whisk until creamy.
- Then add the chia seed mixture, syrup and both packets of vanilla sugar and continue to stir.
- While continuing to stir, add the flour first and then the baking soda and salt.
- Alternatively- or if the dough is too tough - everything can also be kneaded with your hands. Finally, mix in the chocolate drops or the chopped block chocolate.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the finished dough onto the baking paper in small dots about 5 - 6 cm apart. The dough blobs can - but don't have to - be rounded and flattened with a spoon.
- Bake the cookies at 350 F or 180 °C for a maximum of 15 minutes, otherwise they will become too firm.